TUTORING FOR SAT, ACT, AND MORE
At Brilliant Prep, we write, read, and think about these tests full time and have dedicated ourselves to the craft of quality coaching and helping our students achieve stellar results. We offer personalized, intensive one-on-one tutoring and mentoring for the SAT, ACT, SAT Subject Tests, and more to busy students with a variety of goals and needs.
All tutoring is done online through Skype. See below for more info about how this works.
What tests and subjects do you tutor?
- SAT & PSAT - Math, Reading & Writing, Essay
- ACT - English, Math, Reading, Science, Essay
- SAT Subject Tests - Math 1, Math 2, Chemistry, Literature
- Academic - Math, Chemistry, Physics, English
What are your rates?
Ranging from $45-$100/hour, depending on subject taught and experience of the tutor.
We are currently accepting new students! Please contact us to discuss tutoring options.
Students who work with us enjoy four key benefits:
STUDY PLANS: One of the biggest problems for students is knowing what to study, when to study, and how to study. Let us solve that for you! We craft weekly study plans designed to fit your schedule and structure your practice sessions so that you know your time is well spent.
MOTIVATION: Maintaining the motivation and discipline to commit to a study plan can be challenging even in the best of circumstances, so it's also our task to keep you accountable. Many parents tell us, for example, that "my son/daughter is a good student, but he/she just needs structure and focus." We specialize in helping underperforming students meet their potential. If you work with us, you'll work hard - and smart!
QUALITY INSTRUCTION: And of course, let's not forget what we do best: teach. We've been teaching the SAT, ACT, and academic subjects for more than ten years - and we learn something new every day. We spend time each week analyzing your current level, crafting your study plan, and building assessments and assignments that will target your weaknesses and bolster your strengths. We don't run students through the exact same syllabus, so whether you need to work on the basics or want to push to "perfection," we'll come up with a tutoring plan that fits your needs.
ONLINE COURSES: In addition, all students who work with us for five sessions or more get free, unlimited access to the Platinum Membership, a $197 value. We will use the materials in these courses for homework and review of important concepts and strategies. You will continue to have access to these materials after our tutoring relationship concludes at no additional cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions we're asked about our coaching program:
How many hours of tutoring will I need? What schedule do you recommend?
We don't run all our students through a cookie-cutter curriculum; instead, we design an individualized program based on their needs and goals. Therefore, we can't give a blanket statement about how many hours of tutoring you might need until we get more information about your current score, score goals, and time available before the next test. However, we generally recommend one of the following basic schedules:
- Two sessions per week. This is the standard approach we advise for students who want an overview of the SAT or ACT in a reasonable time-frame (typically more than three months).
- Three sessions per week. Students who have less time to prepare for their test (less than 2 months) or want a more intensive preparation schedule would benefit from more frequent sessions.
- One session per week. This option is best suited for students who have plenty of time until their next test (greater than 6 months) or who need help on only one section of the test. This is also a great choice for younger students (8th, 9th, 10th graders) who want to get a head start on preparation but don't want to commit to a full program just yet.
- EXTRA HELP (on-demand). If you don't want or need a comprehensive tutoring program but would benefit from occasional guidance, instruction, and review with us, then you can book sessions as often as you need. This option is best for students who are self-studying, students too busy for regular tutoring, or students on a budget.
We do offer other configurations of sessions and lengths of sessions in special circumstances, so contact us and we can discuss what works best for you.
How does payment work?
You will be billed after each week of sessions. Payments can be made with credit card or Paypal.
Note that you are NOT charged for prep work we do outside of session, including:
- Crafting your weekly study plan.
- Updating our shared folder (see below) so that everyone - tutor, student, parents, guardians - can keep track of progress.
- Answering questions by email.
- Creating worksheets, practice tests, and practice problems that we customize solely for our tutoring students.
You can modify or cancel our tutoring relationship at any time. You are not locked in to any contract!
Note: All sales are final. We do not offer any money-back guarantee or refunds for our tutoring services, but we will work with you to make things right if you are unsatisfied for any reason.
Where do we meet? How do the online sessions work?
In most cases, we'll meet online through Skype or Google Hangouts. Not only will we interact by voice, but also the tutor will be able to share my computer screen so that heor she can write on a "virtual blackboard" during the session. This audiovisual pairing will make our sessions feel like we're in the same room.
Do you cover strategies or content?
Both! A solid grasp of the content (Math, Grammar, etc.) as well as specific strategies for beating your particular test are both critical to getting a high score. Some students might need more focus on content, while others might have the content down and thus need more strategy review, but we do cover both for all students.
Do you assign homework?
Absolutely. The work we do in sessions is, of course, essential to learning the material, but reinforcing and practicing those lessons are perhaps even more important.
The number of hours of homework per week depends on the student's availability, current score, and goals.
As described above, we design a weekly study plan with specific homework assignments to complete so that everyone (students, parents, tutor) understands exactly what needs to be completed. Assignments include watching lecture videos, worksheets, practice sections, and practice tests.
How much do your students improve?
Student improvements depend on so many factors that a one-size-fits-all answer or a blanket score "guarantee" would be inappropriate. Check out a sample of feedback we've received from students, members, and parents. You can also get a sense of our teaching style and breadth of knowledge by viewing our Free Courses or browsing our Youtube Channel. Many students have increased their scores just by using the video, textual, and practice resources offered in our courses; students who combine tutoring with our materials see the best results.
How does scheduling work?
We prefer to set up a regular schedule, but we do have some flexibility week-to-week. We'll work that out once we start working together. We have availability on throughout the week and weekends.
Our tutors live in different time zones, so we will coordinate our schedules to ensure our meeting times work for both of us.
What books and study materials do I need?
Depending on the subject taught, you'll need
- A Skype account (free)
- A webcam, only for the audio (no video required on your side)
- Access to Reason Prep's courses (free as described above)
- Official SAT/ACT/other prep guide (~$20)
I don't need a full tutoring program, but I would like to meet with you occasionally to ask questions, get tips, build a study plan, etc. Can we do that?
Sure! Some students don't want or need a comprehensive tutoring program for the SAT, ACT, or academic subjects, but they would benefit from occasional guidance, instruction, and review with us. You might benefit from Extra Help if you
- are self-studying for the SAT or ACT and need some help reviewing tests and practice problems that are giving you trouble.
- want a custom Study Plan for the SAT, ACT, or other tests.
- would like to "check in" with a tutor occasionally to review your progress and suggest next steps.
- are too busy with academics, sports, and extracurriculars for regular tutoring sessions but could benefit from intermittent coaching.
- need help completing your school homework, or studying for an upcoming test, but don't need a full-time tutor.
- would like feedback on an essay you're writing or project you're working on.
- have questions about the college admissions process or need advice on college essays.
Self-motivated students, student-athletes, homeschoolers, students on a budget -- we've worked with all kinds of students who need extra support, and we'd love to help you out too! Contact us and we can discuss options.